Thursday, July 22, 2010

My Life is too Loud!


I work in technology.  Everyone in my line of work has a cell phone.  My phone can make calls, send and receive email from three different accounts, and send and receive text messages.  I can go on the internet, update my Facebook and Twitter accounts on it and use it as a GPS.  I can view and update my calendar and my to-do list on it.  It’s an amazing device.  When I’m done with all of that, I have snail mail from home and work to deal with.  This is very typical of the world we are living in.  It is hard to focus.  It is hard to pay attention to anything or anyone without being distracted. 

This problem can affect my spiritual life.  It is hard to really get alone and “Be Still” before God.  It is hard to close out everything around me.  No music, no TV, no PC, no phone, etc…  It is hard to intentionally take myself away from all of these things and focus on prayer, on Bible Study, on meditating on Scripture.

Jesus didn’t have all these things interfering in his life.  However, he did have multitudes of people always fighting for a minute of his time.  Somehow he was able to remove himself from the distractions to spend quality time with the Father.  He was able to do this because He chose to.  He made it a priority.  We can do the same thing.  We just have to choose to unplug ourselves from the world.

It is a spiritual discipline to be still, to listen, and to cut off all the distractions in my life.  It is in the stillness that I can develop intimacy with my Father.  Quiet my mind.  Quiet my heart.  Not think about work. (That one is hard for me.)  Focus on God. Focus on His love for me.  Focus on His faithfulness.

Try it.  I will.

.

No comments: