Thursday, March 27, 2008

Be careful what you ask for ...

I am scheduled for surgery on my left hand on Monday. I have been having some second thoughts about it this week. I’ve been wondering if it is really the right thing to do. Is it really bad enough to need surgery? I’ve been warned that this is a particularly painful surgery – not something I am looking forward to. I’ve been praying the last couple of days for wisdom in this situation. I just wanted to be sure I made the right decision. So, today my hand hurt pretty badly all day. I sat in my office and thought about it and I was reminded what I had asked God for. I had asked for Him to make me sure that I was making the right decision. I do not believe that God caused my hand to hurt. I do believe He allowed it to hurt more today, in order to answer my prayer and give me the “push” I needed to go through with the surgery. I know God loves me and does not want me to suffer but I also believe that he uses painful times in our lives to point us to Himself and His grace. I am thankful for the reassurance that I am doing the right thing. I am confident that He is able to get me through. Sometimes God uses suffering to teach His children patience. Sometimes it is to make us stronger. And yet other times, it is so we can help someone else in a similar situation later in life. It's always a blessing to know someone who has gone through the same troubles that you are going through, for they usually have some helpful words of comfort and wisdom.

God always knows what is best, and He never makes a mistake. David said, "It was good for me to be afflicted; so that I might learn your decrees." (Psalms 119:71) The Apostle Paul, said, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (Philippians. 4:13)

So, be careful what you ask for… you just might get it.

No comments: