Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I am a sheep

Psalm 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want"

Because the Lord is my shepherd, I do not lack anything. He satisfies me and all my needs. That is the place God wants to bring me to. He wants me to be completely dependent on Him, to need Him alone. There really are only two options. The Lord is my shepherd, then I shall not want; if I am in want, then the Lord is not my shepherd.

The hard part for me is to determine what my real needs are. He never promised to meet all my wants. I also need to learn contentment. That is not something that comes naturally or easily. Paul says in Philippians that he has learned to be content which seems to indicate that it was a process. It’s not always easy to be satisfied.

I need to be satisfied that God is in charge and that He will lead me and protect me. Going back to Psalm 23:1 - I am the sheep in this analogy. Sheep are dumb, timid, defenseless, helpless, etc....... I don't like being compared with such a miserable creature. But if I am really honest, I know it is true. I lack wisdom and strength. I have the tendency to want to go my own way and do my own thing. I need my shepherd.

Are you a sheep? The shepherd is waiting to lead and protect you, too.


Philippians 4:11 – “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.”

Philippians 4:19 – “And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.”

No comments: