Saturday, January 9, 2010

Snow Day


We had a day off on Friday – a snow day.  Snow days are the best.  They are a day off when you aren’t expecting it.  You never want to anticipate having a snow day.  If you think you are going to get one, you never do.  The trick is to make yourself do everything you would normally do to get ready for work the next day.  Go to bed at your regular time, pack your books the night before, etc… Never count on a snow day!

So when you get that phone call that school is cancelled, it becomes the grandest of all school events.  It is unexpected and greatly appreciated. 

This was an extraordinary snow day because the call came the night before.  That meant I could turn off the alarm clock and sleep in the next morning.  Not that I didn’t do any work on Friday, I did, but it was all like a bonus. 

The specialness of a snow day is not what you do but what you don’t do.  I didn’t get up at 5:00 am, I didn’t wear school clothes, I didn’t answer phone calls from salesmen, I didn’t send a couple of hundred emails, I didn’t eat a school cafeteria lunch, I didn’t do anything related to school. No meetings, no schedule, no anything.

Don’t read into anything here.  I love my job.  I love teaching students.  However, when something as great as a snow day comes along, you just have to love that, too.

Snow days are also great because they remind me what Christ has done for me.  He has forgiven me and cleansed me from all my sin.

So the next time it snows, let it remind you that if you are a Christian, you are clean in His sight and your sins are no more.

Psalm 51:7 “Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.”

.

No comments: