Sunday, September 28, 2008

Little things matter

I had an interesting phone call at work this week. As the technology director, I manage a fairly substantial technology budget. Included in my budget is the purchase of toner for all the printers on campus. We spend thousands of dollars every year on toner. I have spent quite a bit of time over the last couple of years getting prices on toner and selecting a providing company. I received a phone call this week from another toner company wanted to win our business. He told me that they had a superior product and competitive pricing. He asked what color printer we used frequently and I told him. He quoted me a “set” of toner (one of each color). I quickly calculated what that toner would cost me from my current company and I told him that his price was about $100 more that what I was currently paying. I said I was sorry but I couldn’t justify paying more. He then said he since he really wanted to earn my business he would do me a great deal. He said if I would take four sets of his toner at a certain price, he would throw in a Nintendo Wii Game system. He said he could even ship the Wii to my home address and the toner to my school address. When I checked the price, it was going to cost my school about $400 more money than I was currently paying. I again told him that it would be unethical for me to do that. He indicated that this was standard practice for all their new customers. He didn’t seem to see anything wrong with it. He was very pushy. I was equally resistant as there is no way I was going to ruin my reputation and Christian testimony over a Wii game system. In the end, I had to firmly say,” No, thank you,” and hang up on him. I wondered how many people gave in to his pressure and then regretted it later. I wondered how many people do things like this and cost their companies money and then enjoy the perks themselves.

I need to do all I can to avoid all appearances of evil. (1 Thes 5:22) I need to do all I can to do the right thing all the time. I need to protect my witness. One wrong choice can ruin a lot. I have a lot of people depending on me to make right decisions. Remember - little things matter.

God wants me to seek him first, to trust him, to obey him, and to do things that will help point others to him.

No comments: