Friday, September 19, 2008

What if God took a day off .....

I get migraine headaches. In order to get over them, I have to take medicine and lie down in a dark quiet place for at least 24 hours. I had one yesterday and into today. As I lay in my dark quiet bed, I thought about a few things. One particular idea was what if God took a day off? What would the world be like? What would happen to us?

What if God said, “Hey guys! I’m checking out for a few days. You’ll have to fend for yourselves.” Sometimes we forget everything that God does for us and everything we wouldn’t have if he took even one day off.

Here’s a few things that God does: (Psalm 104)
· He makes springs pour water.
· He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate-- bringing forth food from the earth
· He brings darkness, and it becomes night

Think about what would happen if the sun didn’t rise. Everything would freeze to death. Or if the water quit flowing, everything would die. Our very existence depends on God being there every day. God controls all of nature ……. earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunami’s, hurricanes. “He looks at the earth, and it trembles; He touches the mountains, and they smoke.”

He sends the rain and snow. He makes the wind blow. And when he chooses to, he causes them all to stop.

What an awesome God we worship. He created all things and he sustains all things. Whether we acknowledge him or not, we couldn’t make it through even one day without him. I am so glad that God doesn’t take a day off.

Want to think about this some more, read through Psalm 104.

No comments: