Tuesday, September 2, 2008

It comes from the heart ...

I am not usually the crying type. I can cry at sad movies but I don't typically cry at real life scenarios. This one will get you though. I work at a school. My 15 year old daughter had to go to school with me during our preplanning days. She had softball practice in the afternoons and there was no way to get her to practice unless she went with me in the mornings. So, since she had time to waste, she volunteered to do some work for some of the middle school teachers, the middle school principal, and the administrative assistant in the middle school office. She enjoyed herself as she loves to be around people and she loves to help others. On Friday, the principal had sent her a gift card for $20 for Target for all the things she had helped them do that week. If was a very nice surprise and my daughter was thrilled. Then, the first thing she says to me is, "Mom, I know what I want to buy. I want to buy ingredients to make cookies for the teachers." I just about lost it. Her first thoughts were to take that gift and turn it around to bless others. Well, I told her that she didn't need to do that, that I would buy the ingredients. So she spent most of Saturday baking cookies and delivered 57 bags of cookies to teachers' mailboxes Monday night. She wanted the teachers to arrive to school this morning, after the long weekend, and have a treat waiting for them. She made little labels that said, "I hope your year is off to a great start." I was so amazed. I take no credit. You can't teach that kind of thing to a kid. If comes from the heart.....

No comments: