Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Rest


I had this song running through my mind today.  It is from an old hymn.

Stayed upon Jehovah,
Hearts are fully blest,
Finding, as he promised,
Perfect peace and rest.

What is this rest that Jesus has promised?

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest .” (Matt 11:28)

If we come and submit ourselves to Christ, then we get rest.  We choose to go to Christ and give Him our burdens. Coming to Christ is suppose to be easy.  Just bring whatever burden you’re carrying and come the way you are.

We are his workmanship.  Our lives are not our own.  It is God who works in me to will and to do according to His good pleasure. 

The biggest struggle I have in the Christian life is to rest.  Hebrews 4:11 says that it takes effort to rest.  (“Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest,”)  It means letting go of things that stress me.  It means letting God take control and responsibility for my life.  It means walking by faith and not by sight. 

I can do it.  I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”  (Philippians 4:13)  I can and will work at resting.  Will you?

 

“For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10

“for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.” Philippians 2:13

“We live by faith, not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7

.

No comments: