Sunday, October 11, 2009

Scripture Memory

.
I struggle memorizing Scripture. I know it would be good for me. I have seen people who can just pull verse after verse from their memory and I wish I could do that. I know a lot of the basic Bible verses. I know where to find lots of verses – in my Bible. I have trouble finding things in someone else’s Bible. I remember things like what color I highlighted it and where it is on the page. Memorizing more Scripture needs to be a goal for me and I believe it needs to be a goal for most Christians.

Chuck Swindoll wrote, “I know of no other single practice in the Christian life more rewarding, practically speaking, than memorizing Scripture…No other single exercise pays greater spiritual dividends! Your prayer life will be strengthened. Your witnessing will be sharper and much more effective. Your attitudes and outlook will begin to change. Your mind will become alert and observant. Your confidence and assurance will be enhanced. Your faith will be solidified.”

There are a few reasons why Scripture memory is essential to the Christian life.

Scripture will help conform you to the image of Christ. As we go through our lives, situations happen and we need our first thoughts to be what does Scripture say about this.

Scripture will help us with our daily victory over sin. Psalm 119:9, 11 “How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. … I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Paul said that we must put to death the deeds of the body.(Romans 8:13) In Ephesians 6, Paul talks about the armor of God. The only offensive weapon we have is the sword of the Spirit – which is the Word of God. Remember when Jesus was tempted by Satan. He recited Scripture from memory and Satan fled from him. (Matthew 4)

Scripture will help you comfort and council others. There are times when people you know and love need you to counsel and comfort them. A lot of these times either a Bible isn’t handy or bringing out your Bible would “scare” them off. Yet they would sit there and listen to you recite verses from the Bible. Isaiah 5:11 says that God’s word will not return empty but will achieve the God’s purposes.

Scripture will help you communicate the gospel to unbelievers. Opportunities to share the gospel come when we do not have a Bible in our hands. Never forget the power that the Word has. We should be able to sum up the plan of salvation into a couple of verses. Remember to include verses on God’s love, man’s sin, Christ’s death, the free gift of life through faith.

By memorizing Scripture, you can let the Lord talk to you all day. Everywhere you go and in everything you do, the Word is a part of you. Memorize verses like “give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18) These will help you through tough times. When my husband lost his job just over a year ago, the first thing I thought was “we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:28) This helped immediately put me in the right frame of mind to deal with the situation.

So, pick out a verse that you think will help you get through the day. Write it down and begin to memorize it. Perhaps write it on an index card and carry it with you every day until you learn it. Post it on your mirror so you see it first thing in the morning. Think of ways to keep it in front of you until you’ve mastered that one. Then choose another verse.

Don’t make your goals too tough. Memorize one verse every 2 weeks and you will learn 26 verses in a year. Look for long term gains. I usually start a project like this and want to do it fast. This is not a sprint, it is a life-long marathon. Make goals you can achieve and enjoy the process. Don’t be too hard on yourself. If you don’t make a goal, just try again.

A lot of this post was influenced by some things I've read by John Piper.

.

No comments: