Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Humility

.
What is Christian humility? It has to do with being totally honest with myself about who I am. I need to recognize my shortcomings and my dependence on God. I am dependent on God’s grace, mercy, strength, wisdom, etc… It is admitting to myself that I can’t do it alone. I am not in control.

Pride is the opposite of humility. Pride is wicked and destructive. It causes me to be self-centered. It causes me to think that I can do it myself and that I don’t need anyone. It hurts other people and it destroys my character. (It is easier to see in others than myself – ouch!)

Humility goes against the philosophy of the world. The world tells me that I must sell myself if I want to get ahead. I must learn to be assertive so I am not walked on by others. While a certain amount of self confidence is a good thing, be sure to remember that everything I have comes to me by the grace of God.

How do you “get” humility? I have to have a right attitude toward God. Remember who He is. See God in his majesty, power, and holiness. (That should be enough to humble me.) Recognize that all I have comes from the hand of God.

The main thing is to come before God and just be honest about who I am. Admit how much I need His love and His grace.

1 Corinthians 15:10a “But by the grace of God I am what I am.”

1 Peter 5:5b-7 “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”

Ephesians 4:2 “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”

Micah 6:8 “And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”
.

No comments: