Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Honesty is best policy


I went to Kroger and picked up a couple of prescriptions.  I got home and started filling out my paperwork for my flexible spending account and I discovered that the pharmacist had only charged me for 3 prescriptions and I had picked up 4.  The one I had not been charged for was $10.  I set it aside and thought about what to do.  The $10 was not a big deal for me.  I just hated to think about the hassle of going back, waiting in line, and then trying to explain to them that I owed them money.

I put it off for a couple of days.  It’s not that I didn’t want to be honest.  It was the time it was going to take to go back and straighten it out that I wasn’t sure I wanted to give up.  Finally, I got to thinking that their drug records wouldn’t match and I needed to make this right.  I went back and I was right.  I had to wait in line.  Then I had to explain everything to the clerk.  Then she had to call over the pharmacist.  They had to do some things in the computer and finally I paid them the extra $10.

They were very grateful that I had returned.  I was correct in my thoughts that their records wouldn’t come out right and that someone most likely would have gotten into trouble.

They were grateful and couldn’t believe that I would come back to pay them money that they didn’t even know that I owed them.  I felt better having taken care of it.  It was a small thing and yet it had been nagging on my conscience until I took care of it.

These situations happen to all of us.  The best thing for us is honesty.  The best thing for the other party is our being honest.  It still amazes people and blesses them when we are.

 

Honesty is a reflection of your character and your integrity. Your actions are a reflection on your faith.  Not being honest gives Christians a bad reputation. 

Honesty is a characteristic that needs practiced as a way of life.  It is a characteristic that employers look for.  It is something that is valued in friendships.  Once you mislead or lie to someone, it is hard to gain their trust back.  Make being honest your habit.

 

Luke 16:10 “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.

Proverbs 16”11 “Honest scales and balances are from the LORD; all the weights in the bag are of his making.”

Proverbs 11:3 “The integrity of the upright guides them, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity.”

.

 

No comments: