Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Peace of Mind


Isaiah 26:3 “You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.”

There are several stories that come to my mind.  The first is Matthew 8 – the story of the disciples worrying while Jesus was sleeping.  Remember, they were on a boat in the middle of the lake when a bad storm came up.  They ran to look for Jesus and found that He was sleeping through the storm.  They shouted at Him, “We are all going to drown!”  Can you imagine Jesus waking up to all that screaming and panic?  Then he asked them why they were so afraid and scolded them for their lack of faith.  He then proceeded to calm the storm.  

The next story I thought of is found in John 14.  Jesus is preparing his disciples for his death.  He told them that he was giving them His peace.  The “peace of Christ” is different than any peace we can imagine on our own.  Jesus told them to not let their hearts be troubled, to not be afraid.  The peace He was offering is lasting and strong.

Finally, I am reminded of the verse I often quote from Philippians 4 that says we shouldn’t worry about anything.  That we should take everything need to God, in prayer and with thanksgiving.  The peace that comes from Jesus will guard my heart and my mind.

So my action plan is:

1. Keep my mind on Jesus.

2. Trust Him by giving Him control of every situation

3. Take my worries to God all the time, every day.

4. Be thankful for all things.  (Count my blessings)  Be thankful that He is always there for me – every minute of every day.

5. Expect the peace of God to fill my heart and mind.

 

Matthew 8:24-26 “Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!" He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.”

John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

.

No comments: