Sunday, November 1, 2009

Need for alone time


I took some time this weekend to try to de-stress.  My husband worked late Friday night and didn’t get home until about 11:00.  My daughter was at the school’s football game.  I was home alone – and it was great!  I had quiet.  No one was asking me for anything for a couple of hours.  I was able to play some music, read some, and take a nap.  It was exactly what I needed.

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body," (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) 

A lot of times this verse is used to say that you shouldn’t drink or do drugs.  The verse is also used when people talk about watching what you eat and exercising.  While I can agree with all those applications, I also think you can apply it to the need to de-stress or simplify your life.  When your life is so stressed and full of activities and work that you don’t have time to think, then stop and ask yourself, “How am I honoring God right now with my body?” 

If you are so stressed that you can’t think straight then that isn’t honoring to God.  If you are “on the go” so much that you can’t relax, then that is not honoring to God.

So when I feel stressed, I need to shift the focus to God.  I need to think about how important things are in light of eternity.  

I think I’ll check the calendar and see when I can get some alone time again.  It was needed, it was good for me, and it was fun!

.

No comments: