Thursday, November 19, 2009

I know Whom I have believèd,


I had to have an MRI today.  I am claustrophobic and so this was not a very pleasant experience.  I had to lay still for about 45 minutes.  I went in feet first and my entire body was in the scanner to my forehead.  I could tilt my head back and see a little bit of the room.  My arms were both back behind my head.  They had to run an IV and contrast dye into my system.

I was very uncomfortable and I couldn’t think straight.  I had to do something to get my mind off my circumstances.  I began to pray.  I prayed for the team of people I supervise, I prayed for my family, I prayed for all my daughter’s teachers, I prayed for our pastors, I started to pray for the students in my class and before I could get through them all, they were done with the scan.  The time had flown by.  I had taken my mind off myself as I prayed for others and God had allowed the discomfort to be taken away.  It ended up being a wonderful prayer time.

The MRI did confirm the doctor’s findings.  I am going to be having some minor surgery in December.  Nothing life threatening and nothing to worry about.  The recovery, however, is supposed to be very painful. We’ll see …

Here are some verses I meditated on tonight.

Romans 8:28 “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

Colossians 3:15 “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be
thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly.”

2 Thessalonians 3:5 (ESV) “May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ.”

Ephesians 3:16-19 “I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge – that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.”

This chorus from an old hymn went through my mind.

I know Whom I have believèd,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.  (Whittle)

.

No comments: